Ovarian cysts are well-treated using naturopathic medicine.
The ovaries are located on either side of your uterus, and are the site where your eggs (ova) develop and mature. Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled sacs or pockets within or on the surface of an ovary, most of which are harmless and which will resolve without treatment, but some, especially those that have ruptured, can produce serious symptoms.
Cyst-like structures develop in the ovaries each month as part of the normal ovulation process. Cysts develop when the eggs within these cyst-like structures are not released from the surface of the ovary.
Complications of ovarian cysts include abdominal pain, and if the cyst is large, urinary frequency (caused by pressure on the urinary bladder).
Seek emergency medical care if you have:
- Sudden, severe abdominal or pelvic pain
- Abdominal or pelvic pain accompanied by fever or vomiting
Symptoms of Ovarian Cysts
It is possible to have ovarian cysts with no symptoms. Possible symptoms of ovarian cysts include:
- Menstrual irregularities
- Pelvic pain shortly before your menses begins or ends
- Constant or intermittent pelvic pain or ache, possibly radiating to your lower back and thighs
- Pain during bowel movements or sexual intercourse
- Sensation of pressure on your rectum or bladder
- Nausea or vomiting
- Sensation of abdominal fullness
- Breast tenderness
Treatment of Ovarian Cysts at Toronto Centre for Naturopathic Medicine
At Toronto Centre for Naturopathic Medicine, the goals of ovarian cyst treatment are to reduce intensity of pain and other symptoms you may be experiencing, reduce size and number of ovarian cysts and manage side effects of conventional ovarian cyst medications.
Conventional treatment for ovarian cysts is primarily the birth control pill, which may have short- or long-term side effects.
For this reason, you may choose to try natural treatment to possibly avoid use the birth control pill to manage your ovarian cyst symptoms.
Naturopathic treatment of any chronic health concern must be recognized as a process that involves:
- Identifying specific treatment goals
- Development by your naturopathic doctor, of a thorough understanding of all factors affecting your health, including physical, psychological, emotional and lifestyle factors
- Development of a comprehensive treatment plan
- Implementation and maintenance of that plan through periodic monitoring and adjustment
At Toronto Centre for Naturopathic Medicine, a typical approach to treating ovarian cysts may be to:
- Identify and address underlying factors in your lifestyle (e.g., poor diet, weight management) or general health (e.g., obesity, irregular or prolonged menstrual cycles) that may be contributing to the development of ovarian cysts
- Ease intensity of ovarian cyst symptoms using hydrotherapy or acupuncture
- Correct hormonal imbalances using metabolic detoxification protocols and botanical (herbal) medicines
Where appropriate, a number of therapeutic options are available, to be used alone, or more often in a complementary fashion, including:
- Nutritional counseling
- Nutritional supplements
- Metabolic detoxification protocols
- Botanical (herbal) medicines
- Bowen Therapy
- Exercise prescription
- Relaxation (meditation) training
- Lifestyle medicine and counseling
Treatments provided by naturopathic doctors are covered by most extended healthcare plans.
Ovarian cysts [Internet]. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; [cited 2010 Jan 29]. Available from: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ovarian-cysts/DS00129.