Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) Infection
Helicobacter pylori (often called simply H. pylori) infection is well-treated using naturopathic medicine.
Helicobacter pylori infection usually happens during childhood. The bacteria damages the protective lining of your stomach and small intestine. A common cause of peptic ulcers, Helicobacter pylori infection may be present in more than half the world’s human population.
Helicobacter pylori infection will cause no symptoms in most, but can cause ulcers of the stomach and small intestine, gastritis and is associated with increased risk of developing various stomach cancers.
Seek professional healthcare if you experience symptoms that cause you to suspect you have a Helicobacter pylori infection.
Seek emergency medical care if you experience:
- Severe or persistent abdominal pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Bloody or black tarry stools
- Bloody or black vomit, or vomit that looks like coffee grounds
Symptoms of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) Infection
Possible symptoms of Helicobacter pylori include:
- Aching or burning abdominal pain
- Abdominal pain that increases on an empty stomach
- Abdominal bloating
- Loss of appetite
- Frequent burping
- Unintentional weight loss
Treatment of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) Infection at Toronto Centre for Naturopathic Medicine
At Toronto Centre for Naturopathic Medicine, the goals of Helicobacter pylori infection treatment are to reduce pain intensity, resolve Helicobacter pylori infection and heal the lining of your stomach and small intestine and prevent recurrence of infection.
Conventional treatment for Helicobacter pylori infection may include a variety of medications, including proton pump inhibitors, histamine (H-2) blockers, bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol®) and antibiotics. These medications may have short- or long-term side effects.
For this reason, you may choose to try natural treatment to possibly avoid use of conventional medications, or together with conventional medications in order to decrease dosages of conventional medications required to manage your Helicobacter pylori infection symptoms.
Naturopathic treatment of any chronic health concern must be recognized as a process that involves:
- Identifying specific treatment goals
- Development by your naturopathic doctor, of a thorough understanding of all factors affecting your health, including physical, psychological, emotional and lifestyle factors
- Development of a comprehensive treatment plan
- Implementation and maintenance of that plan through periodic monitoring and adjustment
At Toronto Centre for Naturopathic Medicine, a typical approach to treating Helicobacter pylori infection may be to:
- Eliminate Helicobacter pylori using botanical (herbal) medicines
- Protect, soothe and heal the stomach lining using botanical (herbal) medicines and nutritional supplements
- Prevent recurrence by increasing “good” bacteria populations in the digestive tract using nutritional supplements
Where appropriate, a number of therapeutic options are available, to be used alone, or more often in a complementary fashion, including:
- Nutritional counseling
- Nutritional supplements
- Metabolic detoxification protocols
- Botanical (herbal) medicines
- Bowen Therapy
- Exercise prescription
- Relaxation (meditation) training
- Lifestyle medicine and counseling
- Registered massage therapy
Treatments provided by naturopathic doctors and registered massage therapists are covered by most extended healthcare plans.
H.pylori infection [Internet]. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; [cited 2015 Mar 29]. Available from: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/h-pylori/basics/definition/con-20030903.